I am writing this post from my cabin. I arrived Monday and will be staying until Thursday. I walked to the cabin again
and my first task once there was to get a fire going. However the smoke would not draw up the chimney from either the wood stove
or the fireplace and the cabin soon filled with smoke
So I had to go onto the roof with a chimney brush and clean both chimneys and clean all the vents to remove any soot. A surprising find in the wood storage chamber below the stove
was three dead House Martins which were not there when I was at the cabin with Adrian three weeks before?
I can only assume that they died in the chimney last autumn and then a mouse has somehow dragged them in.
Eventually I got a fire going in the wood stove
but even with the wood stove burning it was still bloody cold in the cabin. In the picture below I am sitting over the stove but you can see my breath in the cold air
and by 8pm I was in my sleeping bag to keep warm.
“Unfortunately the touch pad on my netbook has stoped working and as a result it has taken two and a half hours to write this much so I will have to stop and try to get it repaired or buy a mouse when I get back to town”…. it appears that the week broadband signal at my cabin causes the modem to affect my touchpad as now I am back at the flat in town eveything works normally again!