A took a the day off on Friday and so we travelled to the cabin on Thursday evening for a long weekend. My thinking was that I would have more time to do the work I needed to do……..unfortunately it rained all day on Saturday!!
My task over the weekend was to remove the front wall from the veranda and build a new one; which included building a 2 metre x 1 metre double glazed window.
I started by raising up the roof using a piece of 4×2 screwed across all the roof joists and two posts pushed under to lift up the roof clear of the wall
I then removed the inside and outside walls and the windows
Once the hole wall had been removed, I could start building the new one. The new wall has one large window in the front. Here is the hole where the window would be.
I had to build a series of supports onto the wall, so that the wall and window can support snow on the roof during the winter.
The section on the left in the picture above , which overhangs the food cellar will eventually be removed. In this picture you can see that I have already began building the frame of the new side wall inside of the old one. The black paper you can see is impregnated with bitumen and helps stop drafts and protect the insulation.
On the outside I screwed batons to the wall and then screwed boards onto the batons. An air space is left between the boards and then a board is screwed over the airspace. This way the wall has air circulating and prevents damp and mould.
I did manage to get the double glazed window build and fitted in place, but because it rained all day on Saturday I unfortunately did not have enough time to get the outside of the wall finished.