Finishing touches to out-building

So last weekend I worked on the finishing touches to the out-building.

I have fixed up a metal sill over the sliding door mechanism

door guard

and used camping insulation mat screwed along both the front and back edge of the door to form a wind and snow seal, but the flexibility of the mat still allows the door to opened and closed

door seal

The sills over and under the windows are in place now

window guards

and metal trim around the roof

side view

Inside, I made more shelving;

for tools and equipment

shelving-2

for timber

wood store

for work clothing and spare parts to machinery

storage

and a loft where we can keep skis and larger items

platform

On Sunday I even had time to go and saw up some Birch that I had felled in the spring.

cut birch

 

 

Advertisements

Out-building completed

Once the planks were cut to go up on the walls, and delivered

panels on lorry

I could start putting up the first layer

panels going up

with a 75mm gap between each plank.

panels first layer

Then the outer layer was put on, with each plank placed over the 75mm gap (each plank was 125mm wide)

outbuilding-1

I have also mounted a sliding door on the front

sliding door

and a couple of windows in the sides (these are old windows from the cabin)

outbuilding-3

Inside I am using all the remaining off-cuts to build shelving

shelving

So apart from some fiddly little jobs left to do, the out-building is completed!!

Fishing at the cabin

While in Killinge  a few weeks ago I tried fly-fishing for the first time and although I caught nothing, I really enjoyed it.  Not having much money at the moment I searched for a good deal on the internet and found this; http://www.flextec.co.uk/products/flextec-fly-fishing-kit-rod-reel-line-flies-and-landing-net  and order the kit.

flextec fly fishing kitI had read some reviews and all stated that Flextec is good quality equipment for the price and I would have to say that I agree.

I spent a lot of time fishing at the cabin last weekend in my inflatable canoe, both with Emma and alone

emma in canoe

I tested the fly-fishing kit and although I did not get any bites, I found it easy to get nice long casts with the rod.  The only problem was that the flies sank all the time, so I need to buy something to help keep them afloat.

I did catch 11 Perch  with a spinner and 1 Grayling

grayling laplandand Emma caught a Perch using a worm as bait.

mms_img-562939865

I’m looking forward to next summer when I can really test my new fly-fishing rod!

On Saturday evening we were treated to a fine display of Northern Lights.  Unfortunately this picture does not do them justice, but you can just see a green haze over the trees.

P1050139

 

Raising the roof

Managed to get a weekend at the cabin last weekend.  I spent some time fishing but didn’t get a single bite, and I did some work on the boat.

As you can see in this picture, the left side of the boat house has sunk down; probably due to the weight of snow that lays on it during the winter.

boat house

Using a bottle jack, I have lifted up the roof now and placed a 4″ x 4″ post under a rafter to support the roof.  This is only a short term remedy as I never have to time these days to do a proper repair, but I am confident it will be good enough for another winter.

lifting boat house roof

The leaves on the trees have changed colour and are dropping and the temperature is dropping below freezing at night.  Some people have seen some fantastic displays of northern Lights during the last couple of weeks, but unfortunately I have missed them!

Structural improvements

After Dave left some comments about structural improvements to my out-building I felt I must try to address issues he had raised.  Not sure if I understood everything correctly, but I hope so!!

I have built an internal frame around the door opening

door frame

The door I am going to use, is a sliding door that i was give, which I will fit on the outside of the building once I have nailed the outside panels on.

I could not obtain more 2″ x 5″ to strengthen the roof, but the local saw-mill did have a 2″ x 6″ left, so I have placed this mid-way under the rafters to provide support and help spread the weight.

roof support

I also found an old window which I have now mounted on one side of the building to provide a little light inside.

window fitted

As usual, I am never alone when working ;>)

siberian jay nattavaara