When I was at Jokkmokks Marknad in February, I ordered some specially designed blades from a blacksmith. I am going to use the blades for making neck-knives.
Last Saturday myself and Kelly took a tour out on the snowmobile. Kelly was very happy to be out in the forest again.
Unfortunately we got stuck, but once I had freed up the machine, we were able to use the hole to make a fire in and grill some sausages.
Later on Saturday I tested my new bag in my hammock and was pleased that it works very well. The only issue is that I cannot sleep on my side.
Sewing work on the bag is now complete. There are two pockets for the mat at each end and a band across the middle.
This is what the front of the bag looks like.
During the summer I can use the bag as it is, but with a down sleeping bag inside it, it is a little bit tight. The zip baffle was only 5cms wide, but they have sewed on an extra baffle which is 20cms wide.
This means that although I cannot close the zip completely, but I can close the baffle using valcro.
I am considering further alterations in the future so that I can close the bag completely.
Last Friday it started snowing and continued until Sunday evening. And with gale force winds the snow blew into drifts. In some places there was no snow on the ground and in others it was up to 2 metres deep. Teres took this picture as I cleared the snow on Saturday
and there was at least the same amount again on Sunday!
One problem that I; and most probably many others have when sleeping in a hammock, is that the sleeping mat doesn’t stay in place and I end up with a cold back.
I have tried making several designs to hold the mat in place with limited success
but recently I found a Halti Travel Sleeping Bag on sale on the internet and though that I could put both my thermarest and sleeping inside it.
Here is more information about the bag; https://halti.com/collections/sleeping-bags-mattresses/products/smart-travel-sleeping-bag
Unfortunately, with both the thermarest and my sleeping bag inside, there was insufficient room. So I came up with a solution to the problem, and with help of our sewing department at work, they are now making alterations to the bag. My solution is (on the back side of the bag) to sew a pocket at the top and bottom of the bag and a band of material across the middle, into which the therarest is inserted. It will only be my sleeping bag that is then inside the bag.
The bag is not yet finished, but I will put up some pictures here as soon as it is completed.
At work yesterday, myself and a friend travelled 51/2kms to a cabin which the council owns.
The weather was sunny and still and the temperature was -6…perfect conditions to be out skiing.
We skid to the cabin to take some pictures for our website and asses the condition of the cabin.
And of course while we were there, we made fire and grilled some sausages and drank coffee.
After we had had lunch, we skid the 51/2kms back to the car.