Fish Trap

I have been asked by one of my readers to provide a little more information about a fish trap which I use at the cabin.  This particular trap is called a “Mjäder” and I first used it when I visited the cabin before I even owned it

mjädar fish trap

From the top it looks like this

mjadarThe fish can swim in but they cannot find their way out again.  Some people say that you must cover it with Spruce branches so that the fish swim in to it for protection, but I have never found this necessary.

 

fish in trap (Small)

The frame is made from steel wire, and then the frame is covered with chicken wire.  It can be very effective at catching fish.

perch in trap (Small)

There is a small door so that you can reach in and remove the fish.

You can see here that there are many different designs.

https://www.google.se/search?q=mj%C3%A4rde+fisk&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwifnfHog9LPAhVG2SwKHbhACngQ_AUICCgB&biw=1366&bih=604#tbm=isch&q=mj%C3%A4rde+

Advertisements

The loft conversion and a quinzee

Last week I spent a day at Solberget Wilderness Village teaching their guests to build a quinzee ( I describe how to build one here; https://naturallore.wordpress.com/2008/02/05/making-a-snow-shelter-or-quinzee/

quinzee-1

The heap of snow was left to freeze for 2 hours

quinzee-3

Then the quinzee was hollowed out

quinzee

Once it was hollowed out, there was sufficient room inside to all the children.

Work on the loft conversion also continues…

loft conversion-9

The ceiling is up and all the electric cables to lights and plug sockets are in place, plus the wall dividing the bedroom and play room is now up

älvsbynhus

the built-in cupboards are also being constructed

loft conversion-13

loft conversion-11 loft conversion-12

I start work again on Monday, so progress will be much slower after that.

Finishing touches to out-building

So last weekend I worked on the finishing touches to the out-building.

I have fixed up a metal sill over the sliding door mechanism

door guard

and used camping insulation mat screwed along both the front and back edge of the door to form a wind and snow seal, but the flexibility of the mat still allows the door to opened and closed

door seal

The sills over and under the windows are in place now

window guards

and metal trim around the roof

side view

Inside, I made more shelving;

for tools and equipment

shelving-2

for timber

wood store

for work clothing and spare parts to machinery

storage

and a loft where we can keep skis and larger items

platform

On Sunday I even had time to go and saw up some Birch that I had felled in the spring.

cut birch

 

 

Out-building completed

Once the planks were cut to go up on the walls, and delivered

panels on lorry

I could start putting up the first layer

panels going up

with a 75mm gap between each plank.

panels first layer

Then the outer layer was put on, with each plank placed over the 75mm gap (each plank was 125mm wide)

outbuilding-1

I have also mounted a sliding door on the front

sliding door

and a couple of windows in the sides (these are old windows from the cabin)

outbuilding-3

Inside I am using all the remaining off-cuts to build shelving

shelving

So apart from some fiddly little jobs left to do, the out-building is completed!!

Raising the roof

Managed to get a weekend at the cabin last weekend.  I spent some time fishing but didn’t get a single bite, and I did some work on the boat.

As you can see in this picture, the left side of the boat house has sunk down; probably due to the weight of snow that lays on it during the winter.

boat house

Using a bottle jack, I have lifted up the roof now and placed a 4″ x 4″ post under a rafter to support the roof.  This is only a short term remedy as I never have to time these days to do a proper repair, but I am confident it will be good enough for another winter.

lifting boat house roof

The leaves on the trees have changed colour and are dropping and the temperature is dropping below freezing at night.  Some people have seen some fantastic displays of northern Lights during the last couple of weeks, but unfortunately I have missed them!

Hawk Owls plus an accident with an axe

I have located two different pairs of breeding Hawk Owl (Surnia ulula) during last weekend. 

Hawk OwlThey nest in holes in trees.  This nest site was made by a Black Woodpecker.

hawk owl nest

One pair have large, mature young that can already fly and so were difficult to photograph

Hawk owl young-1 (1320 x 990)The other pair however, have young that have just left the nest and although they cannot fly, they are very good at climbing.  They were very difficult to locate sitting in trees.

Hawk Owl chick-3 (990 x 1320)But once located, they did not move.

Hawk Owl chick-4 (990 x 1320) Hawk Owl chick-2 (1320 x 990)

While carving a Birch spoon today I chopped my fingers with the axe (I was keeping an eye on Kelly instead of concentrating on what I was doing).  I had read an article on Facebook that Cayenne Pepper is very good at staunching the flow of blood so I tried it out.

handIt did not stop the bleeding within 10 seconds as the article states, but within a minute it had stopped.  The base of the fingers is not an easy place to apply a dressing, but I have taped the two fingers together and that seems to have worked ok.

A new sheath for Emma’s knife

It is a very cold spring we experiencing. Today it has only been 1 degree C, with snow showers. There are not many summer migrant birds that have arrived, though just now we do have a lot of Brambling (Fringilla montifringilla) in the garden.

brambling sweden lapland

I am still not working a currently await a date for an operation on my hernia. While at home I decided to make a new sheath for a knife I made for Emma a while back.

20140424_142239

Emma designed the sheath herself and helped make it.

20140424_142226 (Large)

20140424_142213 (Large)