Structural improvements

After Dave left some comments about structural improvements to my out-building I felt I must try to address issues he had raised.  Not sure if I understood everything correctly, but I hope so!!

I have built an internal frame around the door opening

door frame

The door I am going to use, is a sliding door that i was give, which I will fit on the outside of the building once I have nailed the outside panels on.

I could not obtain more 2″ x 5″ to strengthen the roof, but the local saw-mill did have a 2″ x 6″ left, so I have placed this mid-way under the rafters to provide support and help spread the weight.

roof support

I also found an old window which I have now mounted on one side of the building to provide a little light inside.

window fitted

As usual, I am never alone when working ;>)

siberian jay nattavaara

 

The out-building is going up

Last weekend I started constructing the new outbuilding.

On Friday evening my neighbour helped to fill in the base with sand as a temporary floor.

base completedand on Saturday Teres’ father came to help me construct the walls out of 4″ x 2″ and lift them into place.

Wall 1.

side 1 up

Wall 2.

sides up

Back wall.

side 2 up

Front wall.

walls up

On Sunday I worked alone and fixed the roof rafters in place and screwed on the roofing laths to which the corrugated roof is fixed.

rafters on

I managed to get half of the corrugated sheets on before it began to rain, but did not take a picture.  I am hoping to have time tomorrow to return and complete the roof and take a picture.

The planks to go on the outside of the out-building are being sawn here in the village, but they will have to dry for some weeks before they can be put up.

A long weekend ruined by such unusual summer weather!!

Myself and my friend Tommy had planned a long weekend fishing trip to the mountains last weekend from Thursday evening to Sunday evening.  The weather forecast in the mountains was strong winds and heavy and so Tommy decided we would instead stay at his cabin in Killingi where we could fish the river Kaitum.

It has been usually cold and wet this summer and there is much more water in the rivers and marshes than there would normally be.  The level in the river we planned to fish was one and a half metres higher than usual.  Here is a picture from August 2011 when myself and Teres were at Tommy’s cabin

killingi 2011and here is a picture I took last weekend

killingi 2015There is nowhere to stand and fish along the edge of the river now as the river water extends into the forest, so we had to fish from Tommy’s boat.

tommy in boatOn Thursday evening and Friday morning the weather was fine and we were able to fish.

sunset killingiOn Thursday evening I caught a Pike and a 2kg Sea trout, but unfortunately the Sea trout managed to get off the hook once we had it near to the boat!

Here is a picture I took at midnight in Killingi and as you can see it doesn’t get dark even now.

midnight in KillingiOn Friday morning we travelled 5kms upstream to fish. We had caught nothing at lunch time, but fortunately I took a large rump steak with me to grill over the fire.

tommy by fireI made a set of tongs from a forked Birch to turn the steak and it was cooked to perfection!

tonges

After lunch I caught nothing, but Tommy caught a 2kg White Fish (Sik in Swedish).

tommy with sikwhich we smoked when we returned to the cabin.

Later on Friday it began to rain with a strong wind and this continued Saturday and was forecast to continue on Sunday, so we decided to cut our fishing trip short and head home early.

 

A new construction under way

Although we will unfortunately not be able to move to our new house until DECEMBER!!, the current owner has kindly agreed that I can start some of the jobs that we need completed before the winter.

The first task is to complete a 20m2 out-building where we can keep snow scooters, cycles and other outdoor equipment.

A neighbour kindly gave me three telegraph poles which i planned to use to construct a base for the out-building.

telegraph postsI measured and marked out the location for the new out-building (the old building you see is unsafe to use and will have to be demolished)

location marked outOnce marked out I began cutting the poles to length.

starting foundationand then jointed the poles at the corners to form a flat, level base

foundation completedI am heading off to the mountains later this week on a fishing trip, but when I return, I must begin construction of the out-building.  Fortunately there is something keeping an eye on what I am doing.

hare lapland